did my xml stop working? doesn’t seem to be updating…
edit: no, apparently with lighttpd, I needed to add a few rewrites. It looks like Typo made some changes to their rss paths a while ago (after planet rubyonrails and other places started using my rss feed for syndication). So, I added the following to my lighttpd.conf to allow those to still work.
url.rewrite = ( "^/xml/rss/feed.xml$" => "/xml/rss/feed", "^/xml/atom/feed.xml$" => "/xml/atom/feed" )
Okay, after taking a minute to test this. I have now simplified this to:
url.rewrite = ( "^/xml/(.*)/feed.xml$" => "/xml/$1/feed")
Finally, was able to take a few minutes and got my blog running on lighttpd. Testing out a few configuration options before moving a few clients to it.
Apache w/fastcgi has been pretty stable for the most part. Initially through lighttpd, I’m not noticing a huge difference in speed. I haven’t tried to run any benchmarks yet… perhaps later.
In other news, I have been busy working on a few client projects, writing, and my gf and I finally got a dog. His name is Nigel. We adopted him a few days ago. :-)
rubyurl=# SELECT count(id) FROM rubyurls ; count ------- 1000 (1 row)
Don’t forget to check out ShortURL for rubyurl usage. :-)
Oddly enough, this is #1000:
In edge-rails, there are new ways of rendering templates.
In my previous posts, I showed how to render a template stored in the database to a variable for usage in generating a PDF. In edge-rails, this is now solved with:
letter = render_string_to_string(letter_template.body)
letter = render(:inline => letter_template.body)
However, until the next release of Rails is out, unless you’re using Edge Rails, you can use my hack in the meantime.
As Rails has been keeping me busier than my PHP work load (I have touched ~5-10 lines of PHP in the last month and a half). I found myself working on some organization and cleaning up around the office and on my workstations. I just officially unsubscribed from the PHP mailing lists.